Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Seed Soaking

The seed soaking process is a keeper. Seven hollyhocks and 23 tomatoes seeds have responded beautifully to soaking and planting. The hollyhocks took about four days to sprout; the tomatoes, six or so. I started the seeds indoors on March 7, and I'll be moving the sprouts to heated mats in the greenhouse in the next couple of days.

No luck (yet) with peppers, columbine, morning glory, and coleus. I usually don't have much luck with these seeds though, so no surprises here.

Another benefit of seed soaking: Many of my seeds packets I've had around the house for who knows how long. During the soak, about three cups of seeds turned to mush--a solid clue that the seeds were old...

Our March has been a mild one. Maple sap has been running strong for a couple weeks now. Day temps are inching up into the upper 40s and 50s. (Will wore shorts to school today.) Night temps aren't quite cold enough to make the syrup farmers ecstatic, but I think they're still having a stellar season.

Husband let the hens out of their coop yesterday for the first time in 2010. They seemed pretty happy pecking around the yard, and even found their favorite dirt hole--dry--near the woods in which to take a bath. I think three chicks are in the plan this spring.

Finally, this morning, I tossed two greenhouse mags in the recycle bin, reminding myself that I just don't need any new plants. Except for maybe a cherry tree, a weeping something or 'nother, or a Japanese maple (if I can find one for Zone 4).

Happy spring! Still waiting to see a robin!

1 comment:

  1. Do let us know if you find a Japanese maple for zone four...I've been wishing for one for years!

    I don't start seeds much anymore but I always start some sweet peas, using the soak method. Bet your chicken were glad to get out into the yard, I'm eager too. Unfortunately, it's not quite time yet here.

    Christine in Alaska

    ReplyDelete